CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, November 1, 2007

Oregon Primate Research Center???







We had a guest speaker today in my Environmental Ethics class. He worked at this Primate Research Center in Hillsboro, Oregon. After 24 years of living in Oregon, somehow it's been kept a secret to me and many others. I had no idea Oregon hosts one of the biggest animal testing facilities in the nation.

The speaker was also one of the main providers for a documentary called "Chattel," which we watched an expert from. He provided the documentary with footage that he shot at the Primate Research Center in the two years that he worked there. No one knew he had been secretly filming what goes on there.

Viewing this footage was SHOCKING.
Right around the corner from where I live scientists are testing on monkeys and I find this to be very upsetting, disheartening and sad. I know there are always two sides to a story, and maybe this testing has provided scientists with some worthy information, but where do we draw the line? None of the scientists or doctors involved at this research center would talk about their involvement. The producer of the documentary wanted to show both sides of animal testing, but somehow couldn't get those in favor to speak. I wonder why...

More information about the documentary at:


As well as the organization my guest speakers works for, In Defense of Animals:


1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sarah,

Jim Newman here from the primate center. Sounds like the speaker you heard from was Matt Rossell, who has worked for a series of animal rights groups like PETA while conducting "undercover" inspections. What he probably failed to explain is that we were cleared as was another lab he targeted in Nebraska (he often fails to disclose this)

You say we did not respond. Let me explain: we were never contacted to respond by your instructor. I am curious - who is your professor? I don't think they ever called us!

Feel free to email me at newmanj@ohsu.edu and we can definately give you the other side of the story.

As for the video you saw, every clip you were shown has a very logical explanation - unfortunatfely you werent given a chance to hear from us.

Also - the documentary Chattel that you mentioned spends alot of time highlighting the menacing campaign of a group of activists called SHAC. Many of the people leading that campaign are now in prison for domestic terrorism and stalking -- a pretty vicious campaign that targeted families at home. I'm surprised Mr. Rossell is promoting that type of behavior.

Again - feel free to contact me or have your instructor contact me. Sounds like you agree with me that students have a right to hear the whole story.